Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Flashback Tuesday

First, let's start out like we did last week by me telling you that on this day in history American Bombers dropped the atomic bomb on Hiroshima.  The explosion wiped out 90 percent of the city and immediately killed 80,000 people; tens of thousands more would later die of radiation exposure and other heath issues. Three days later,  a second bomb was dropped on Nagasaki, killing an estimated 40,000 people. Truman our president at the time has gone on record saying that he "never regrets" dropping the bombs.  This is not to make Truman out to be a bad man.  For him he was seeing the lesser of two evil, and the fact that Japan killed thousands of our men in the Pearl Harbor attacks on December 7th 1941.  
Had the Japanese not surrendered after the drop, Operation Downfall,  would have happened.  This would have been where an organized invasion of the Japanese mainland.   Joined with Operation Ketsugo, the Japanese defensive plan, devastation would have struck both sides. In a study done by the Joint Chief of Staff during the planning it was estimated that American casualties were an estimated 1.2 million, with 267,000 fatalities. Japanese civilian casualties were to be an estimated 5 million, as opposed to the 90,000–166,000 killed in Hiroshima and the 60,000–80,000 killed in Nagasaki. While the use of nuclear warfare proved to be devastating and continued to kill after the war was over, some say the cost has never outweighed the benefit, when one considers the lives saved on both sides due to President Truman’s decisive actions.  ( Source 1 and Source 2)
For me personally it is something that I pray never has to happen again.

And now if you are still with me after that long and sad history lesson I would like the Flash Back to the time I become a Godmother.


It all stated with this girl:



Liking this guy:






So they tied the knot:







And later had their first son:






Who later became a big brother:





To this guy:








Who I am the proud godmother of: 








But all that was not made officially until this awesome moment: 





Now even back before I knew Sean and Jeanly I knew I wanted to be a godmother.  It was on my life goal list and when I was asked I was delighted.   Meeting Sean and Jeanly had/ is such a huge blessing on my life in every way and I was overjoyed when they asked me.  I prayed everyday for him and his mom, started to write him letters that I will one day give him and was overall extremely  excited. Now that he is here I can say that he and his family are one the the best thinks that have entered my life.  Elijah is a constant source of joy.  He is most often my phone background because just seeing his face makes my day better.  I have even told other friends that I cannot imagine what a mother feels for their children because of how much I love that little guy and his brother.  I look forward to the joy I will one day feel when he learn to say "Rachel" like his older brother did, but I also look forward to watching him grow up with the guide of his amazing parents.  Watching him and helping him learn about his faith, spoiling him and above all making sure that he always knows how awesome he is, how is was chosen for this world even before I dreamed of being a godmother, that he is God's favorite and above all that he will always have a place in my heart and nothing he can ever do will take that away. 


Especially when you make a face like this:


1 comment:

  1. Awww... I loved this post! Especially the awesome picture of Sean in the beginning :-D
    Thanks for making my day brighter.

    ReplyDelete